Holy Thursday Mass of the Lord’s Supper, April 1 at 7:00 P.M. (Fr. Gerard and Msgr. Bill, Presiders) (no morning Mass)
Good Friday of the Lord’s Passion, April 2 at 3 P.M. (Fr. Gerard, Presider) and 7:00 P.M.(Msgr. Bill, Presider) The collection on Good Friday is for maintenance of churches and religious sites in the Holy Land. (no morning Mass)
Easter Vigil Mass, April 3 at 7:30 P.M. (Fr. Gerard and Msgr. Bill, Presiders) (no morning Mass)
Easter Sunday The Resurrection of the Lord Masses, April 4 at 5:45 A.M. (outdoor Sunrise Service), 8 A.M., 10 A.M.
Lenten Fast and Abstinence: FASTING -- On Good Friday, those between 18 and 59 are allowed only one full meal. Two smaller meals are allowed as needed, but eating solid foods between meals is not permitted. ABSTINENCE FROM MEAT -- Those who are 14 years of age and older are to abstain from meat on all the Fridays of Lent.
Easter Triduum: The summit of the Liturgical Year is the Easter Triduum -- from the evening of Holy Thursday to the evening of Easter Sunday. Though chronologically three days, they are liturgically one day unfolding for us the unity of Christ's Paschal Mystery. The celebration of the Triduum marks the end of the Lenten season and leads to the Mass of the Resurrection of the Lord at the Easter Vigil. The liturgical services that take place during the Triduum are Mass of the Lord's Supper, Good Friday of the Lord's Passion, and Mass of the Resurrection of the Lord.
Easter Sunrise Service: Please join us for the first OLR Sunrise Service!
Rice Bowl: Thank you to all who have been "feeding your rice bowls" with life-saving coins for the hungriest in our world. If possible, please count your coins and turn in a check made out to Our Lady of Refuge and, on the note line, write “CRS” so we can properly allocate the funds. Or turn you coins into folding money. Bowls with checks, folding money, or coins can be placed in the CRS basket as you enter the church. On behalf of those who go to bed hungry, thank you. Visit http://www.crsricebowl.org to learn more.
Please remember in your prayers Patrick Giacomi and Mateo Diaz, and pray for the repose of the soul of Julia Bartolotti.
Mass Procedures: Our church has re-opened, but we have Federal, State, County, City and Archdiocesan regulations to follow. All procedures are intended to facilitate the safety and health of all. We must maintain capacity and social distancing guidelines. Prior to each service, the church is sanitized. We appreciate your cooperation and patience.
(1) Please use the restroom before you leave home.
(2) Arrive early to facilitate seating.
(3) Be sure your mask is in place when you exit your car.
(4) We will ONLY use the entrance on Stearns as we did before.
(5) Please observe social distancing as you wait to enter (see the blue tape).
(6) You will sanitize your hands before entering the church.
(7) A greeter or usher will seat you where we need you to sit; every other pew is in use and seating is marked. (Remember, we are still under social distancing and attendance protocols.)
(8) If you have a pyx, please give it to the usher for a Minister of Communion to place on the altar.
(9) Late arrivals will also be seated by an usher.
(10) At Communion, remain at your place until directed by an usher to move forward. Form a single line, alternating from one side to another (not a whole row or family).
(11) Maintain social distancing as you approach to receive Eucharist (see the blue tape).
(12) Your mask must remain in place covering BOTH nose and mouth until you receive Eucharist; then place the Body of Christ into your mouth and reposition your mask.
(13) Exit after receiving Communion, following the instructions of the ushers.
(14) Leave the church reverently and go to your car.
Not available: Currently the church is not open for visitation. Candles for the shrines are not available.
Baptisms: Welcome into our parish community Mateo Diaz, and Hunter and Aubrey Rico.
Campus Closures: The church office and School of Religious Education will be closed on Good Friday, April 2. The school will be closed April 1 at noon and reopen April 12.
Spring Opportunity Drawing: Support OLR School by buying raffle tickets for $5 each. Money collected from the raffle will help support tuition assistance. Tickets will be sold after Masses on April 17 and 18. Grand prize is $1,000. The drawing is Monday, May 7. Checks may be payable to Our Lady of Refuge School, with memo Spring Opportunity Drawing.
Weekly Lenten Fish Fry: The Knights of Columbus sponsor a Friday Fish Fry (4:30 – 7 P.M.) during Lent at the Bellflower office. Dinners are packaged to-go; pre-order no later than 1 P.M. each Friday by calling 562-866-9105. Location: 9847 Artesia Blvd., Bellflower CA 90706.
Stations of the Cross: Resources for your private reflections.
- EWTN (Global Catholic television) Charter Spectrum Channel 165, Direct TV Channel 370, Frontier Channel 285 -- traditional Stations of the Cross every Friday (4 A.M., 11:30 A.M.)
- Catholic Relief Services https://www.crsricebowl.org/stations-of-the-cross 1 video for each station -- available any time
- The Stations of the Cross with Bishop Barron https://stations.wordonfire.org/stations-of-the-cross -- available any time
- Stations of the Cross for Children -- available any time https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&ei=UTF-8&p=virtual+stations+of+the+cross+for+kids&type=E211US105G91369#id=7&vid=0f3d505c38da14bc53e818a5c501f88b&action=click
- California Bishops’ Stations of the Cross to draw attention to the sin of racism -- available any time https://www.rcbo.org/california-bishops-hold-a-virtual-stations-of-the-cross-to-draw-attention-to-the-sin-of-racism/
- Busted Halo has virtual Stations of the Cross -- available any time https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL64578BA118169A75
Virtual Triduum Liturgies available:
- Triduum https://www.ourladyofrefuge.org ; From the homepage, select “Videos”
- The Archdiocese of Los Angeles from the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels (live-streamed with replay available) www.lacathedral.org/live
-Holy Thursday Mass of the Lord’s Supper, April 1 at 7:00 P.M. (bilingual)
-Good Friday of the Lord’s Passion, April 2 at 12:00 P.M. (bilingual)
-Easter Vigil Mass, April 3 at 8:00 P.M. (bilingual)
-Easter Sunday The Resurrection of the Lord Masses, April 4 at 8 A.M. (English), 10 A.M. (English), 12 P.M. (Spanish)
- EWTN (Global Catholic television) www.ewtn.com Charter Spectrum Channel 165, Direct TV Channel 370, Frontier Channel 285
-Holy Thursday Mass of the Lord’s Supper, April 1 at 9 A.M. Pope Francis from Vatican City, 3 P.M.
-Good Friday of the Lord’s Passion, April 2 at 9 A.M. Pope Francis from Vatican City (9 P.M. encore), 11:30 A.M. from the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, D.C.
-Easter Vigil Mass, April 3 at 10:30 A.M. Pope Francis from Rome, 5 P.M. from the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, D.C.
-Easter Sunday The Resurrection of the Lord, April 4 at 1 A.M. Pope Francis from Vatican City (encore at 4 P.M.), 5 A.M. with Franciscan Missionaries (encore 9 P.M.), 9 A.M. from the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, D.C.
OLR Church Office (562) 498-6641 9:30 A.M. -- 2 P.M. (M-F)
5195 Stearns Street, Long Beach, CA 90815-2901
OLR website -- https://www.ourladyofrefuge.org
Betty Guevara, Parish Secretary -- email@example.com
Shirl Giacomi, Director of Religious Education -- firstname.lastname@example.org
(562) 597-3102 9 A.M. -- 3 P.M. (M-F)
Donnie Green, OLRS Principal -- email@example.com
OLR Catholic School -- (562) 597-0819 7:30 A.M. -- 3 P.M. (M-TH), 7:30 A.M. -- 1 P.M. (F)
5210 E. Los Coyotes Diagonal, Long Beach, CA 90815
Team Refuge -- Holly Cavallaro, Coordinator (562) 822-9191
Faith Direct -- https://membership.faithdirect.net/enroll/CA966 ; or the app Faith Direct – eGiving for Churches. To securely make a one-time gift to Our Lady of Refuge Catholic Church, text a dollar amount to (562) 414-6831.
Realm -- https://onrealm.org (to access your account) or the app Connect – our Church Community, ACS Technology Group (Realm Connect)